Sunday, December 24, 2006

Day 8: Christmas in Thailand

I left Ko Tao this morning by boat and now I find myself in Ko Sumai. One way to really figure out if you are considered to be in a remote location is if the place that you are at has a McDonald's. Well, lets just say that there couldn't have been a McDonald's further away from Ko Tao. I didn't realize how secluded I was on the island untill I left and came here to Ko Samui. This is a bustling little island with all kinds of shops and modernazation. What do you know, this time I have a beach bungalow with a toilet that flushes and TV!

So I really don't think that the Thailand people know what Christmas is all about. It makes me giggle when I see a Thai person riding down the street on their motor bike wearing a santa hat. They cater so much to the tourists that they have conformed just a little to the Christmas spirit, although in vain because they have no idea about the holiday except that there is Santa Clause, the colors, lights, and best of all good food. I was invited to go to a free BBQ tonight at the JAH Peace Beach Bar by the bar tender who seemed to be wildly amused by the fact that I look Thai but am American.

Here's a picture of the Thai's cooking up the Christmas Spirit!


0 comments: