Sunday, December 17, 2006

Day 1: Arrive Bangkok

Arrive Bangkok. I finally got here today (Sunday) at 1 in the afternoon. By finally, I mean I had no idea how long the travel time would be.
Started in Las Vegas.
Delayed leaving by 1 hour. (US Airways. I swear if anyone attempts to fly with them, I would advise otherwise.)
Arrive LAX.
Missed flight with China Air due to delay.
Fight with US Airways to rebook my flight without luck.
Fight with China Air to get me on the next one which was overbooked as it is.
Fight with China Air to rebook me on another airline without any luck.
Angry, frustrated, almost in tears.
Agree to go on standby with China Air on next flight.
Made new friend Gwen.
Took nap in airport at LAX for two hours.
Stood around in line waiting.
More waiting.
7 hours later...
I was awarded a seat on stand by to go to Tapei!
Leave LAX.
Arrive Anchorage 4 hours later.
Leave Ancorage 1 hour later after the refueling.
Arrive Tapei, Taiwan 11 hours later.
Leave Tapei 2 hours later.
Arrive Bangkok.
One hour taxi ride into town.
Arrive hotel, EXHAUSTED!
So I'm staying at this Inn called " Khaosan Palace Inn". They don't provide toilet paper for their guests. Good thing Joe told me to bring some. The shower stall and bathroom are one in the same. Seriously, there is no tub or shower door, you take a shower over the toilet.
The great thing about where I'm staying is that it's on Khao San Road. What a backpacker's haven! I don't feel so alone here. There are so many people here just as I. Travelers from everywhere. Also, so many stalls and shops to which you can buy anything that you could ever dream of. I bought clothes for tomorrow, a pair of slippers, and a shirt all for 15 bucks. I got a 1/2 hour Thai massage for 3 dollars. I can't even explain it in this short blog what their technique was. All I can say is that they take off your shoes, scrub your feet, and take you to a large room where there are mats on the floor. You lay down and the massager gets to work. It felt great after the long flight.
I bought a train ticket for tomorrow night to go to Chumphon. I leave at 7:30pm and arrive at 4am. I'm planning on taking the ferry over to Ko Pho Island where I hear that the beaches are georgeous and scuba diving is cheep.
Before I end this...two funny things that happened:
1. a Thai bartender asked if he could be my boyfriend.
2. A British couple asked me for the price of a pair of shoes as I was standing there waiting for the sales lady to come back with my change. I thought that it would be obvious that I'm not Thai! I guess I fit in as a local. haha.

0 comments: