Monday, August 13, 2007

Bangalore, India; Day one

Yes, I'm here half way across the world, jet lagged, even though I slept almost the entire 16 hour plane ride to get here. Interesting place this is. I almost got ran over a bus a few times because traffic seems to not want to stop for anything. Instead of slowing down, they prefer honking. There are so many people here, its amazing. The other amazing part is, unlike being in Thailand, I feel like I'm the only tourist here. Maybe that's because I am. I mean really, who travels to India? While walking around this morning, I recieved many stares from the local people who are in wonder at my appearance. It could also be that I'm sporting jeans and a T-shirt, while the women here all wear beautiful cloths of many colors drapped across their shoulders. Guess I'll have to go shopping so that I can fit in just a little. I can't wait for that. This morning's breakfast of coffee, and something they call "Idyl" which is a tomato type curry over rice cost me approximately .25 cents.
Right now I'm at a little internet cafe across the street from where I'm staying. We are going to have a group orientation meeting in just a little while. Other volunteers in my group are from all over; South Korea, Isral, Atlanta, Canada, France and the UK. We have yet to go to the place where we will be working, but our team leader explained that it is outside the city. Thank god...all this smog is really giving me a head ache.
Sorry, no pictures yet. I only took a couple of random cows that were walking in the street this morning. Seriously, there are cows walking in the middle of the road, just about the only thing that traffic does stop for!

0 comments: