Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Cusco, Peru

Just checking in from Cusco. We arrived really early this morning from Lima. Half the day was spent being sick with nausea and dizziness from the altitude. Candice and I found that drinking Coca Tea, as the locals do, is a herbal remedy to the altitude sickness. Now at evening, I am feeling great and ready for tomorrow´s adventures.

The day in Cusco today was spent enjoying the sun, scenic street scenes, and quaint mountain town feeling of this city. We went to the center and visited the cathedral and did some shopping. I tried a popular drink called "Inca Kola", very appropriate I know, while watching the children chasing the pigeons at the fountain. It was nice to have a somewhat relaxing day today so that our bodies aclimitize and because we just have no clue as to the days to come.

We booked a guided tour today in which what we know thus far is that we are taking a bus for 1 hour and 40 minutes to an elevation of 4000 meters in the mountains. At this point we will mountain bike down to 2000 meters where we will stay over night in a very small mountain town. There we can enjoy the water fall and hot springs. The next day we have a 6 hour hike to the next town Aguas Calientes where we spend the night. The last day we hike up to Machu Picchu. Then we get back to Cusco via train and bus.

I say this all very unassured because in our briefing tonight, we didn´t really receive the fine details of our expedition so we have no idea what to expect.

So I´m sure we are not going to have internet for the next three days, so I will let you all know how this turns out. (I wish I could upload my pictures, but the internet here is too slow.)

Goodnight.

0 comments: