Saturday, August 31, 2013

East Coast Extravaganza; Part One Chicago

I went on a 5 month  pilgrimage of medical school called audition rotations.  Its basically where I show up to different hospitals, for one month at a time, and show myself off.  I attempt to make myself look like the most genius of all in comparison to all the other medical school brats trying to do the exact same thing.  My overall experience of this whole charade is something that I would say is a test to my ability to adapt.  My chosen route was Chicago in August, New Jersey in September, Florida for October/November, and with a mini trip to Philadelphia and D.C.   Given the tardiness of this post, here are some highlights.

I've never been to Chicago nor can I say that I ever was dying to come. I didn't know that Chicago was such a culturally diverse, clean, and earth friendly city.  The people enjoy summer concerts that are dense with the qualities of the human spirit and they enjoy running outside in the open air. I enjoy the food.

My first weekend in the windy city was a welcoming Cubs game.  Now I'm no huge sports fan in general, but when someone invites me to a ball game outside in a beautiful weather where you can day drink and eat a couple of dogs, I'd be crazy to say no to that.




Chicago river.  Goes right through downtown.  Beautiful day.  Beautiful kayakers.

I visited the famous bean with my new pseudo roomate Stu.
 Chicago skyline from a boat.  I mean really if you are going to visit Chicago in the gorgeous summer weather when it is not freezing cold over lake Michigan you have to take a boat ride. 

 As a former McDonald's employee I can only say that this is the most impressive one I have ever seen!  I mean I would really not be disappointed if I got taken on a date here. 

 From the top of the John Hancock.  Believe it or not, this picture was taken from the ladies restroom.  Sorry guys, your tough out of luck for this viewing.  It's a sexist view only.

 Millennium Park during a summer concert.  Awe how romantic.
Millennium Park by day.  A great place for a stroll, and a great place to be lazy, people watch, and grab a Chicago dog.

 Okay, it seems weird but I'm obsessed with grocery stores.  And I found one I loved in the Chi town suburbs.  It was called Mariano's Fresh Market.  And yes, I had died and gone to organic food store heaven every time I walked in.  I loved it so much I sat and studied and read for hours there.  They had a juice bar and a hot food bar where I would pig out.  They had organic fresh made gelato.  They had organic meats beautifully displayed in all its grass fed glory.


As much as Chicago was very much a city where I understood the people in all their organic, juicing, yoga, running, fitness type of language, there were many things about Chicago that I didn't care for. 
I hated that everywhere I drove in the Chi-Land would take me 30 minutes to get to anywhere.  I didn't like the terrible traffic going into the city.  I know the weather, as fabulous as it may have been was short lived.  I hated being in the suburbs.  There are some die hard sports fans in Chicago.  I mean death by Cubs, Sox, or Bears with a big axe sort of weirdness.  I absolutely loved Garrett's popcorn.  Oh man.  It was like eating crack.  Best damn popcorn I have ever had in my life.  


0 comments: