Friday, August 22, 2008

THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA

I am speechless at what to write about the Great Wall. It was an absolutely amazing and beautiful day. I figure that I will let my pictures do most of the talking.




Many of the watch towers that we crossed were crumbling to pieces and were very steep. Using two hands was a good idea.





At some watch towers or sections of the wall, there would be a green "X" indicating that we were supposed to walk down and around that section of the wall because it was too dangerous.






One thing I have to mention is the dozens of Mongolians that roam on the wall waiting for tourists to come by. Their soul purpose is to get money from us by having us buy something or by acting as a tour guide. I personally believe that many of them live in the watchtowers along the wall, as there were sleeping bags laid out in many of the towers.


Our hike was approximately 10 km (6 miles). Trust me when I tell you it was hot. There was no sun, thank god, but it was hot hiking up and down all those steep stairs and rocks. When we reached the end, we had the choice to walk down the stairs off the wall or to zip line down, then take a boat. Why would we want to walk?

Here is the wooden bridge we crossed to get to the zip line.






Tons of these guys on the wall.




These two people walked the entire 4,160 miles of the Great Wall and wrote an amazing blog about their journey. It is a blog of great pictures and inspiration.

0 comments: